Saturday, 22 January 2022, a number of households in Ocean View sat without electricity due to a substation that burnt out in Buffalo Road. An Electricity Department was seen repairing the burnt substation, as wires melted through the inside of the substation, hurrying to get electricity back on before night fall!

Meanwhile, a house in Libra Road sets a light due to an electrical fire, the Richards family still has no knowledge on how the fire started. With severe damage done to most of the house, neighbours chipped in to help distinguish the fire before the fire department arrived at the scene.

Read the bit below to avoid electrical fires in your home:

  • Common Electrical Outlets: fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets or worn out sockets that are not properly¬†grounded. As outlets and switches get older, the wiring behind them wears as well, and wires are strung about that loosen overtime and could potentially break and cause a fire.
  • Outdated or Worn-Out Electrical Wiring: Outdated electrical wiring often causes electrical fires. If a home is over 20 years old, it may not have the wiring capacity to handle the increased amounts of electrical appliances in today’s average home.
  • Cords and Electrical Circuit Overloads: Unrestricted use of extension cords is a major fire hazard. When the TV, home theatre, computer, and other appliances are all plugged into a single extension cord, it creates excessive power load on a single socket which may not be designed to handle that load.
  • Old Appliances: Old appliances that have frayed cords or loose or faulty wiring can catch fire. Moreover, due to the high flammability of old insulation used in these appliances, a simple electrical repair to address these issues may not be enough. It’s best to purchase updated appliances to ensure your safety.
  • Portable Heater: Be conscious of where you place your space heaters in the wintertime, and never leave it on for an extended period of time, especially when you are sleeping or have left the house.